Sunday, November 16, 2014

Cruising along

Brooklyn continues to do well in many areas.  She is strong, happy, and very excited to interact with others.  For whatever reason she adores her daddy (just ask her mommy) but is generally excited to meet all of mankind.

Of late she is sitting up so well on her own, to the point that we don't necessarily have to be by her when she is sitting up (although we still like to be).  She is also starting to reach and is able to look for things when we hide them.  She has big cheeks, a full head of hair, and a sweet, happiness-inducing disposition.

She has not had any seizures of late and we have gotten used to her somewhat calmer disposition now that she is on her medication.  We are grateful to not have had any more seizure episodes.  She is also wearing her patch on a regular basis in preparation for her upcoming eye surgery in December.

We could not be happier with her and the influence she has on our entire family.  With this holiday season approaching, we are grateful for so much of miracles, kindness, and charity that we have been the recipients of in the past year.  And strangely, I'm not sure how much we would change about our experience this past year - good or tough.  Without the tough we would not have learned as much.  Without the good it would be more difficult to make it through those tough days.




Here are some more thoughts within that first week of when we found out about Brooklyn's hydrocephalus:

August 23, 2013

Today was productive at work…with school starting next week I was grateful for that.  I also had a moment again where I felt a rush of peace as I was looking into the mirror. 

...

Jenny is doing well.  I was a bit down today and she just stayed positive and picked me up – even got me a glass of milk and let me lay down for a bit.  I am blessed to have her in my life.  She makes me so happy and I am grateful for the wondrous blessings that come from my marriage to her.



August 24, 2013

From Elder Andersen’s April 2013 talk “It’s a Miracle”
"As Jesus promised, signs and miracles were following the faith of the believers."
"Our day is a remarkable time of miracles."

"I like the story of Andrew, who asked, “Master, where dwellest thou?” Jesus could have responded with the location of where He lived. But instead He said to Andrew, “Come and see.” I like to think that the Savior was saying, “Come and see not only where I live but how I live. Come and see who I am. Come and feel the Spirit.”"

Today I was able to talk with my friend **** from my mission.  [He] has always been so good to me , a true friend.  His son **** has the same affliction our little girl is facing and also has other challenges.  I admire the way **** and his sweet wife **** have raised and loved [their son] and I imagine I'll draw added strength from them in the days and years to come.  It was just nice to talk with **** today.  He also shared some insights about the doctors who will likely put the little shunt in our baby's head when she is born and said that those doctors are wonderful and good men.  This will also bring an added measure of peace when we meet them.

My family is fasting for our little girl today and I am as well.  I am again grateful for the good men that my brothers are and the wonderful parents I've been blessed with.  Jenny's mom has also been staying with us the last couple of days and brought such a peace and stability with her.  I've always admired her and appreciated her influence on me and my family.  She is truly an angel to so many and I think of her as just as loyal as Ruth and Ester of old.

I'm grateful that the Lord has given us means such as prayer and fasting to demonstrate our trust in Him.  He is so good to us and I hope we can teach our little girl effectively about Him and His love for her.  I'm also grateful at this time for the health of our children who are already with us.  Whether it's their little smiles, ability to kick a ball or throw and play catch, or just their ability to get bumps and bruises  I am grateful for them and the blessing they've been to Jenny and me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Chad! I love your daughter, too. She is a gift from God, as are all of your other children. Thanks for being such a wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete