Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Updated schedule

It turns out that only one surgery will happen in early December (the eye surgery) and the second surgery will occur closer to mid-December (the one to address the issue at the crown of her head). Brooklyn continues with her patch therapy and other activities.

We are looking forward to Brooklyn's first Thanksgiving tomorrow. Clearly we all have much to be thankful for at this time, including our trials that help us to grow.  I am particularly grateful for our Savior Jesus Christ, who helps us through these trials because He loves us.  He is also intimately familiar with all of our trials, as he experienced them through His atonement (Alma 7:11).  I also want to acknowledge a loving Heavenly Father who is willing to answer our prayers and concerns through the Holy Ghost.  Finally, I want to express gratitude for family and friends who are always there to consult with, comfort, laugh, and just hang out with.  I am so glad that we aren't just sent off to separate islands to live out our days but instead have family, friends, and others that we can interact with, learn from, serve, and grow with in this life.

Here are some of the thoughts I had in the past...again, at a time before Brooklyn was born.  It is neat to see how far things have come since these thoughts were recorded:

August 25, 2013

Today was our family fast for our sweet little one.  I was able to feel the spirit again during the sacrament and the sacrament took on additional meaning to me.  I’ve always believed in the resurrection, but if it turns out that we don’t get to raise our little girl or that she has severe physical challenges, the doctrine of the resurrection becomes even sweeter.  I love the Gospel and am so grateful that our Heavenly Father has revealed so much of it to us, particularly with regards to the hope it provides even if this life is difficult for a time.

My sweet family fasted for our little daughter today.  Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Leon also joined in the fast and sent a sweet text message:

":It has been a wonderful day. We enjoyed our day of fasting and prayed that your little daughter would enjoy all that Heavenly Father has planned for her life and mission as a member of this family. We love her so much all ready.”

Steve also wrote us a nice email today expressing his support...

“Jenny and Chad - Mom called and told us about your sweet baby... [I] wanted to reach out and send our love.  One of the greatest benefits of family is the strength it provides when challenges arise.  While I am sure this beautiful child will be one of the most precious blessings of your mortal life, it sounds like the future is somewhat unknown, which I'm sure is a challenge.  Please know that we are here and praying for your family to have strength, guidance and understanding, and so willing and ready to drop everything and come running to help with whatever you may need over the coming months.We love you. Steve and Barbie”

Needless to say, we have felt a great sense of support. 

I continue to admire Jenny throughout this process.  She is unshakable.  Not that she hasn’t cried or had concerns, but she continues to look forward with faith and I’ve found myself drawing strength from her example.  I’m so grateful to have her to go through life with.

The talks in church were helpful today.  The Sneddons spoke as they prepare to leave for the Congo.  Sister Sneddon talked about reaching out to the one. Brother Sneddon recounted a time when Sister Sneddon asked him to pray about whether they would continue to grow their family.  He related that when he prayed about this, he was told that he was asking the wrong question and that instead he should be praying for strength and vitality.  That hit home with me.  I know that Heavenly Father communicated, through the Holy Ghost, which was unmistakable, that we were supposed to have another little baby.  Now, like brother Sneddon, I know that we need to pray for strength and vitality – in other words, not ask that any mountains be removed (unless that be the Lord’s will) but that we can strength to climb the mountains before us.

I will continue to pray for a miracle….that our daughter can be as healthy as possible.  As it states in Luke 22:42:

“Saying, Father, if thou be willing, aremove this cup from me: nevertheless not my bwill, but thine, be done.

We will still pray for a miracle, if God be willing.  Nevertheless, not our will, but His be done.  We will continue to trust in Him, knowing that He knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment