Friday, February 14, 2014

3rd time the charm?

Brooklyn had her 3rd shunt placed today.  I had a nice conversation with the neurosurgeon after the surgery and it sounds like it went ok.  I also saw the anesthesiologist (I did not even use spell checker for that one) and she also seemed to think the process went smoothly.

It turns out I had the process a bit out of order.  They actually went in and added the new shunt first.  They ended up using the standard shunt in hopes that it would work well and due to the fact that Brooklyn's brain has developed in size since birth. So we are hopeful this one will work well.  They then put a seal on the old hole in the dura after removing the previous shunt.

The other interesting note was that it does not appear that the issue was due to a leaking hole like I described earlier.  While the surgeon was not certain, his best guess is that the shunt was not working properly.  Whatever the reason, we are grateful she is through this next step.

While it has been trying to have to get another shunt, during my discussion with the neurosurgeon he did point out that she has skated by two big issues - infection and brain bleed.  Either of these would have the potential to cause additional damage and require even weeks of treatment, so we will count our blessings that these issues have not occurred and hope she will continue to be blessed to not encounter these issues.

So grateful for Brooklyn, the care she has received, and all the support we feel from all of you!


2 comments:

  1. Been thinking about your little Brooklyn and how she is doing. So glad you started this blog so everyone stays up to date. Hopefully 3rd time really is the charm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the third time is the charm. You must all be exhausted but believe me, we are not one bit tired of praying for your darling daughter. We think of your family constantly and can't wait to tell Brooklyn about her faithful "fan club". We'll have lots of stories to tell her. Love to all of you.................Aunt Bonnie & Uncle Leon

    ReplyDelete