I should note that her last surgery (on the crown of her head) appears to have been successful in alleviating the pressure/pain Brooklyn would experience when it was touched before the surgery. We are so grateful for this as we do not have to be quite as concerned about laying her flat. She also appears to have avoided any infection on her sizable scar, which is a great blessing.
So, overall things are looking ok. While we hope her shunt is working, we'd like to know sooner rather than later if it is not so that we can address any issues that might be in play.
Here are some videos from her 1st birthday...Enjoy.
Finally, here are a few more of the thoughts I wrote down in the days after we had found out about Brooklyn's condition but before she was born:
August 26, 2013
Yet again I feel some peace today and yet again I encounter
someone else who knows someone who has our little one’s condition. [...], my old teacher’s quorum
advisor, was at his father’s house today ... They
were irrigating his father’s lawn and I stopped and spoke to [him]. He mentioned that he knew someone whose
daughter had hydrocephalus...who the doctors said would not
have much of a life but has had a miraculously functional life. Again, this tells me that, if it be our
Heavenly Father’s will, our little girl can find a productive and happy
life.
We also had our neighborhood party tonight. The [....] family again cooked the meat, they
are so kind and generous with their time.
I admire them and their marriage so much….always with smiles on their
faces. Same with the [...] who are
always serving and supporting one another as the other serves.
Life is good and grand.
I begin teaching tomorrow, which I am looking forward
to.
August 29, 2013
Teaching has gone well so far and it has been nice to be
busy...
I had a nice talk with Alison the other day. It is nice to have her medical expertise in
the family. She was reassuring and
uplifting and I was grateful for her time.
I also spoke with [my "boss"]today to explain what we are facing. He was so supportive and said the department
would be fully supportive in any way possible.
As I look around me at family, friends, and co-workers (who are also
friends), I realize how blessed I am to be associated with good people in this
life. [He] was so kind with his words
of encouragement. He talked about how
we’ll love this little girl, perhaps in new ways we have not yet experienced. I agree with that thought and look forward to
having her in our arms in December.
I came across the following when studying hope the other
day:
“The word hope is sometimes misunderstood. In our everyday
language, the word often has a hint of uncertainty. For example, we may say
that we hope for a change in the weather or a visit from a friend. In the
language of the gospel, however, the word hope is sure, unwavering, and active.
"Prophets speak of having a “firm hope” (Alma 34:41) and a “lively hope” (1
Peter 1:3).”
-True to the Faith lds.org
What a profound teaching – hope being a certainty. I can see how this is when I know that I have
received revelation from Heavenly Father through the Holy Ghost that has
brought peace, or, in other words, a sureness of hope that things will be ok.
I love this Gospel.
CUTE cake videos!! We will be praying you can get in with the doctors soon to figure everything out. We love you!
ReplyDelete